A new features in Lotus Notes Domino 8 is the ability to use Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) outbound authentication (SMTP AUTH) to relay hosts. Most Internet Service Providers (ISPs) usually only allow authenticated Lotus Notes Domino users/servers to relay email through their Lotus Domino servers. When using the SMTP outbound authentication feature, you don't have to worry about that.
- Make sure you already have a Configuration Settingsdocument for the Lotus Domino server(s) to be configured.To set up the SMTP outbound authentication feature in Lotus Notes Domino 8, follow these simple steps:
- From the Domino Administrator, click the Configuration tab and expand the Messaging section.
- Click Configurations.
- Select the Configuration Settings document for the Lotus Domino mail server or servers you want to administer, and click Edit Configuration.
- Now click the Router/SMTP - Basics tab.
- In the field labeled Use authentication when sending messages to the relay host, choose one of these:
- Required: This checks whether the Lotus Domino 8 server can authenticate. If the server cannot authenticate, no attempt is made to try a unauthenticated session.
- Enabled: This determines whether the Lotus Domino 8 server can authenticate. If it cannot, an attempt is made to try an unauthenticated session.
- Disabled: The SMTP authentication feature is disabled. Authentication is not attempted.